Spicy Garlic Sausage
Reprinted with permission from Sausage, Recipes for Making and Cooking with Homemade Sausage by Victoria Wise, copyright © 2010. Published by Ten Speed Press.
- Servings: Makes 1 1/2 pounds.
From Sausage: Recipes for Making and Cooking with Homemade Sausage, by Victoria Wise ($23.00, paperback with color photographs, Ten Speed Press).
- 1 1/4 pounds ground pork
- 2 ounces salt pork, fat only, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeño chile
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage or 1?4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste, if needed
- Place all the ingredients except the salt in a medium bowl, and knead with your hands until thoroughly blended. Cook and taste a small sample, then add the salt if needed.
- Leave in bulk and shape as directed in individual recipes or stuff into hog casing. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight, to firm and to blend the flavors.
- Sauté or grill, or cook as directed in your favorite recipes.
- The uncooked sausage will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 weeks.