Battery Place Market
Battery Park City
77 Battery Place
Between 2nd and 3rd Place
This charming neighborhood full-service market, located in Battery Park City, is dedicated to organic, artisanal, and local foods while serving the needs of its downtown community.
With a coffee bar, run by a professional barrista, at its center, this well-stocked and well-managed store features organic and conventional produce, meat and poultry, seafood, cheese, charcuterie, bakery and breads, and a diverse grocery selection.
The store's selections are somewhat small but extremely well edited so that while there are choices, they're mostly between better and best. Local sources appear in every category which at the time of our visit included:
- Bread: Rudi's Gluten Free, Orwasher's, and Sullivan Street
- Coffees: Coffee By Design and Stumptown Coffee Roasters
- Produce: Gotham Greens (raised on Brooklyn roof tops), Satur Farms, plus other organic and conventional choices
- Cheeses: both local and imports; only cheeses like Parmesan are pre-cut with most cut to order and the store makes its own mozzarella
- Charcuterie: cured meats and fish with producers including LaQuercia and Trois Petit Cochons
- Bakery: local baked goods from Pie Country, Pie Corps, donuts from Brooklyn's DOUGH "We Fry In Bed-Stuy," Ceci Cela, and others
- Meat, Game and Poultry: Eberly Poultry, American Kobe Beef, D'Artagnan
- Seafood: Fresh fish and shellfish from local sources
- Beverages, soft drinks, mineral water, beers (including many local and small producer beers and ales)
- Grocery: full selection of pasta, canned goods, spices, condiments and sauces, cereal, baking supplies, pet food, ethnic ingredients, dried fruits and nuts, candy, and more
What to know:
The store makes breakfast, lunch and dinner and there's a full-time chef, Robert Sckalor, in charge of it all. Daily offerings include a substantial selection of gluten-free dishes and they also do catering. All their menus, including the daily fresh meat offerings, are at the store's website and prepared foods can be ordered on-line from Seamless Web (there's a link right on the home page of the store's website.)
The store is open 7-days a week, from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm.
They offer free delivery to the neighborhood.
Prices are what might be expected for a store that offers so many high quality choices but they are completely competitive with stores like Whole Foods.
77 Battery Place
New York, NY 10280