Summer Berries & Autumn Fruits
Photography by © Tara Fisher.
English cookbook author and food stylist and writer Annie Rigg has written a gorgeous and inspiring new cookbook that is all about fruit. Summer Berries & Autumn Fruits: 120 Sensational, Sweet & Savory Recipes (Kyle Books, © 2016, hardcover, 240 pages, color photographs, $29.95) takes a fruit-by-fruit approach, mixing sweet and savory recipes in each chapter.
The gorgeous photographs are by Tara Fisher.
The chapters are organized into five varieties:
- Citrus: oranges, mandarins, clementines, lemons, limes, bergamots, grapefruit, pomelos
- Berries & Soft Fruit: strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, gooseberries, red, black and white currants, blackberries, figs, rhubarb
- Stone: peaches, cherries, plums, damsons, apricots
- Tropical: mango, melons, pomegranate, coconut, bananas, pineapple, papaya, persimmon
- Orchard: apples, pears, quince
From winter's citrus to peak-of-summer berries, no matter the time of year, we have amazing fruits available to us and Ms. Rigg gives us a huge range of tempting things to do with them. There are baking ideas, soufflés, puddings, jams and marmalades, beverages, ice creams and sorbets, and curds, plus on the savory side, pickles, salads, sauces, soups, hot sauces, and fruits used with roasts and tacos and more.
As a sample, we've got Ms. Rigg's recipe for Plum Streuselkuchen, which can be as satisfying for breakfast as it would for dessert. Fortunately, in many areas the plum season is long, making this a treat you can enjoy for many weeks. See our link.
This book would make a perfect house gift for a summer hostess, or for anyone who has a garden and loves to cook, or for a city cook who happily shops at his weekly Greenmarket.