Carrot and Chickpea Salad
It doesn't get any faster, easier, or tastier.
- Servings: 2 large or 4 smaller portions.
Simple and delicious. You can't find a salad that's more simple to make, yet its combination of textures and flavors is complex due to the carrots' sweetness and the bright lemon vinaigrette.
Because the chickpeas are canned and the carrots are bagged, I'll often add these ingredients to my grocery list so that when I'm out of all my fresh vegetables, I can still have an easy salad with a weekday dinner.
This salad is nice either on its own or served alongside one or two other salads. Plus, the beautiful orange and green colors makes it a good choice for a dinner party salad platter.
Taste before adding more lemon juice into the dressing because if it becomes too citrus-y, it will be too sour against the carrots.
- 1 10 oz. bag shredded carrots
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or to taste
- Several grinds of pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place the shredded carrots, chickpeas, and chopped parsley into a serving bowl.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, add the salt and pepper with the lemon juice and stir until the salt dissolves.
- Add the olive oil to the seasoned lemon juice and whisk to emulsify and combine.
- Pour the dressing over the bowl of carrots, chickpeas and parsley and toss to combine. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
This salad can be either served immediately or you can let it sit at room temperature for about 4 hours beforehand. Otherwise refrigerate it but bring to room temperature before serving for the best flavor.