Carrot and Chickpea Salad
It doesn't get any faster, easier, or tastier.
- Servings: 2 large or 4 smaller portions.
You can't find a salad that's more simple to make, yet its combination of textures and flavors is complex. The sweetness of the carrot with the grainy chickpeas combine with a simple vinaigrette made with both fresh lemon juice and wine vinegar.
Because the chickpeas are canned and the carrots are bagged, I'll often add these ingredients to my grocery list so that in a few days, after I've used up all my fresh vegetables, I can still have an easy salad with a weekday dinner.
This salad is nice either on its own or served alongside one or two other salads. The beautiful orange color makes it a good choice for a dinner party salad platter.
Resist putting more lemon juice into the dressing because if it becomes too citrus it will be too sour against the carrots.
- 1 10 oz. bag "French cut" or matchstick carrots
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- Place the matchstick carrots and the entire contents of the rinsed and drained chickpeas into a serving bowl.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, combine the vinegar and lemon juice with a pinch of salt and several grinds of pepper. Use a fork to stir until the salt dissolves.
- Add the olive oil and canola oil to the vinegar/juice combination, whisking to emulsify and combine. Taste for salt and balance of acid and oil.
- Pour the dressing over the bowl of carrots and chickpeas and toss to combine.
This salad can be made either immediately before serving or up to about 3 hours beforehand. Refrigerate if you're not going to serve right away but bring to room temperature before serving for the best flavor.