Cottage Cheese with Cucumber and Tomatoes
A Crunchy and Creamy Combination
- Servings: Makes 2 side servings or one serving of lunch.
This combination of cottage cheese, crunchy vegetables and the acid from cherry tomatoes was a childhood favorite. It still is one of my go-to lunches as it's quick to make, nutritious and it travels and stays well as a take-to-work carried lunch. While it can be made with no fat cottage cheese, the extra flavor that come from 2% or other low fat cottage cheese seems worth the extra calories.
If using a Common American or Kirby cucumber, the kinds that are always easiest to find in our produce markets, peel and seed the cucumber first. If using a hothouse or other thin-skinned cucumber, just rinse and trim off the ends; there's no need to peel them.
- 2 cups low fat or 2% cottage cheese
- 2 cups chunks of cucumbers, seeded and peeled if necessary, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup of sliced or cubed radishes, washed and trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl or lunch container, place the cottage cheese.
- Add the chunks of cut vegetables and stir gently to combine.
- Add grinds of black pepper to taste. No salt is needed because the cottage cheese usually is salty enough.