Broccoli With Garlic
- Servings: 4 to 6.
Usually the best way to cook a vegetable is the simplest.
- 2 heads fresh broccoli
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Carefully wash the broccoli and break each head into florets. You can also peel the stems and cut them into 1/2-inch pieces. Two heads should produce 8 to 10 cups of raw broccoli.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil, adding 1 teaspoon salt. Add the broccoli and cook it about 3 minutes, until it become almost tender but not completely cooked. Drain thoroughly.
- In a large sauté pan or casserole -- with a cover -- add the olive oil. Place over a medium high heat. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the broccoli, garlic, and red pepper flakes and cover. Cook for about 3 minutes, giving the pan a shake a few times, until the broccoli is completely cooked and tender when pierced with a knife.
- Taste and adjust for seasonings.