Cranberry Walnut Squares
Sweet and Tangy
- Servings: makes about 15 squares.
This combination of cranberries, chopped walnuts and a butter dough bakes to produce sweet and tangy layers, like an upside down cake. When it bakes the batter cooks to a golden brown surface, almost like a cookie but it's cake underneath. Be sure to let it cool completely before cutting.
- 2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, you can use the berries without defrosting), picked through to remove stems
- 3/4 cup and 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 325° F.
- Melt the butter in two parts: 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup.
- Add the 1/4 cup melted butter to a 9 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a bowl combine well the cranberries, chopped walnuts and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Spread this mixture in the pan over the melted butter.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed or by hand with a whisk, beat the 2 eggs well. Add the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar, the flour and the remaining 1/2 cup melted butter to the eggs and combine well, beating at medium speed for about 2 minutes to create a soft dough. Spread this on top of the cranberry-walnut mixture.
- Bake 1 hour until the top is golden brown and the berries are bubbling.
- Let cool before cutting into squares.