From The Classic Italian Cookbook, by Marcella Hazan.
This traditional recipe is adapted from The Classic Italian Cookbook, Marcella Hazan's first masterpiece initially published in 1973. It accompanies her flawless recipe for osso buco, veal shanks braised in a tomato-based sauce.
However, despite including the recipe for gremolata, Signora Hazan argues against adding these pungent flavors to the already balanced osso buco.
But if you are a traditionalist and wish to add this chopped garnish to the delicate veal shanks, do so just as they finish cooking. This fresh flavoring can also be used with seafood or roasted meats.
A gremolata should not be made too far in advance so to protect its fresh and lively flavors.
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon very finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley.
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle lightly over cooked veal shanks in osso buco or over seafood or roasted meats.