From The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
Courtesy of America's Test Kitchen
- Servings: Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
The note that introduces this recipe emphasizes, "Fresh herbs are essential for the flavor of this dressing; do not use dried herbs."
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot or red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro or dill
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- pinch sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in a bowl until smooth. The dressing, covered, can be refrigerated for up to 4 days; whisk to recombine before using.
- Variation: Low Fat Ranch Dressing
- To compensate for the nonfat and lowfat substitutions, we found it necessary to increase the amount of lemon juice and pepper. Do not use nonfat mayonnaise; its flavor is much too sweet.
- Use non fat buttermilk, nonfat sour cream, and lowfat mayonnaise. Increase the amount of lemon juice to 2 tablespoons and the pepper to 1/2 teaspoon.