Russian Tea Cakes
- Servings: about 4 dozen cookies.
This cookie recipe has been in my family for as long as I can remember. A favorite aunt of mine always baked them for Christmas when they made a perfect match to a cup of hot chocolate.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar plus 2 cups extra for finishing the cookies
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (not flavoring)
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- Cream together either by hand or using an electric mixer the butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the flour and salt and mix until completely combined.
- Stir in the chopped nuts.
- Chill the dough until it is firm, about 1 hour or longer.
- Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Roll teaspoons of the dough into one-inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet; they do not spread when baked so you can put them about one-inch apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until set but not brown.
- While the cookies are still warm, roll them in confectioners' sugar. Let them cool on a rack and then roll them again in more sugar for an extra coating.
- Store in an airtight container.