Slow Cooker Tomato and Artichoke Soup
- Total Cooking Time: 8 Hours on Low.
- Servings: Makes 6 cups.
This recipe is adapted from one that appeared in Ladies Home Journal Magazine and if you have a slow cooker and an immersion blender, it couldn't be easier. This recipe is also made with ingredients taken entirely from the pantry, as long as you keep a package of frozen artichoke hearts in the freezer. I've also increased the garlic and added hot red pepper flakes to boost the flavor.
If you do not have a slow cooker, you can make this soup in a large pot on top of the stove. Combine all the ingredients and place over medium low heat until the artichokes defrost. Raise the heat and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer, slightly cover the pot so that too much liquid doesn't boil off, and cook for about 1 hour. Then purée as the instructions state.
This soup is also non-fat and tasty served either hot or at room temperature.
- 2 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes, crushed into small pieces with your hands, or diced tomatoes
- 1 9 oz. bag or box of frozen artichoke hearts (no need to defrost them in advance)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 medium garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- Add all the ingredients to a 6 to 8 quart slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook 8 hours on low.
- Using an immersion blender or a food processor or blender, purée the soup, in batches if necessary, until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning, adding freshly ground black pepper at the end if necessary.