Fresh Raspberry Sauce
- Servings: Makes about 1 cup.
This simple fruit sauce is the kind that is also called a coulis, made by combining crushed and sieved fruit with sugar. It has a lively flavor that is as vibrant as its bright red color. You can also make this sauce with blackberries or strawberries but remember that it will only taste as good as the berries with which you make it.
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (or to taste depending on how sweet the berries)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- Pass the berries through a food mill or fine sieve, using a wooden spoon to mash them.
- Discard the seeds.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice and stir until the sugar dissolves; taste and adjust for more sugar and/or lemon juice.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. It will keep sealed and stored in the refrigerator for about a week.