Mushroom and Tarragon Salad
Fresh Tarragon And An Added Bite From Sherry Vinaigrette
- Servings: 4.
All this salad needs is very fresh, white, firm mushrooms and fresh tarragon. Don't even think about making this with dried tarragon as you won't get the the herb's fresh flavor, fragrance or shiny appeal which is what this salad is all about.
- 4 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon (use the leaves only from 1 to 3 sprigs, with stems discarded)
- 2 tablespoons sherry or tarragon vinegar
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
- Cut off and discard the stems and any dark spots on the mushrooms.
- Slice the mushroom caps in reasonably thin slices, about 1/8 to 1/4-inch each.
- Place the sliced mushrooms in a large bowl.
- Add the minced tarragon to the sliced mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar with a large pinch of salt and several grinds of fresh pepper.
- Using a fork, combine the vinegar with the salt and pepper until the salt dissolves.
- While continuing to stir, add the oil until it combines with the vinegar. Taste for salt and balance of oil and vinegar.
- Pour the emulsified vinaigrette over the mushrooms and chopped tarragon and quickly toss to combine. The mushrooms will immediately absorb the vinaigrette so you want to quickly get all the mushrooms dressed.
- Serve immediately or within an hour of making this salad. That's because the salt in the dressing will cause the mushrooms to throw off liquid and the dressing can also cause the mushrooms to darken.
Tip: Don't wash mushrooms under running water as they'll absorb the water and become spongy. Instead use a damp paper towel or a soft mushroom brush to wipe your mushrooms clean of any dirt or debris.