Yogurt Garlic Sauce
- Servings: Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Yogurt is used throughout Turkish cooking -- for breakfast, in sauces, over filled dumplings, or in mezes, the small plates that often begin a Turkish dinner.
This basic sauce can be combined with bitter greens, raw greens like purslane or spinach, seasoned with mint and sumac to become a sauce, or simply spooned onto a piece of bread.
Serve over grilled meat or fish, over stuffed vegetables or pilafs, with plain greens or zucchini, or on pieces of warm pita bread.
- 1 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Olive oil for drizzling (optional)
- Whisk together the yogurt, garlic and a pinch of salt until smooth.
- Let sit, refrigerated, for 15 minutes to allow the flavor to develop.
- Just before serving you can drizzle a little olive oil over the top.