Garlicky, Rich, and Luscious
- Servings: Makes 1 cup.
Aïoli is a mayonnaise flavored with fresh garlic that is popular in southern France and parts of Spain. It is a perfect way to add richness to seafood, steamed vegetables, and other simple flavors.
Use the best garlic you can find and fresh free range eggs.
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated (a Microplane rasper is perfect for this)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 4 drops Tabasco
- In a large bowl combine the garlic, egg yolks, lemon juice, salt, and sugar. Whisk a few seconds to combine but don't over-work it.
- Combine the canola oil and olive oil into a single measuring cup.
- Whisking constantly, very slowly drizzle the oil into the egg mixture until thick, creamy, and pale yellow in color. If the mixture becomes too thick, you can add a little more lemon juice or vinegar, about 1/2 teaspoon at a time, to slightly loosen the mixture to make it easier to add the remainder of the oil.
- Season with a few drops of Tabasco and more salt, to taste.
Use immediately or else refrigerate until ready to use. Aïoli will keep about a week in a covered container, refrigerated.