Stuffed and Fried Green Peppers
Excerpted from Puglia (c) The Silver Spoon Kitchen, courtesy of Phaidon. Photo from Puglia (c) Matt Russell, courtesy of Phaidon.
- Servings: 6.
PEPERONI VERDI RIPIENI E FRITTI -- Stuffed and Fried Green Peppers cooked in a style from the Bari province in Puglia. This recipe is from PUGLIA, a beautiful book about the region and its food from the Silver Spoon Collection published by Phaidon.
As its authors wrote, "Peppers are a good source of vitamin C and have the advantage of being very low in calories. This tasty and full-flavoured dish is ideal during the summer thanks to its blend of Mediterranean flavours." In addition, this dish can be served warm or at room temperature.
- 6 pointed green (sweet) peppers
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 500 g / 1 lb 2 oz (2 3/4 cups) canned chopped tomatoes
- 50 g / 2 oz (1/2 cup) dry crustless breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Pecorino cheese
- 1–2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- salt and pepper
- To make the stuffing, put the breadcrumbs in a bowl with the cheeses, eggs, parsley, garlic and capers. Season and mix well.
- Cut the cap off the peppers, remove the seeds with a teaspoon and spoon the stuffing into the cavities. Heat the oil in a frying pan or skillet, add the peppers and fry until lightly browned on all sides. Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Discard any excess oil in the pan, then add the tomatoes and cook over a high heat for 10 minutes to reduce their liquid. Add the peppers to the sauce and simmer gently for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve.