A Sweet Use of All Those Summer Zucchini
- Servings: Makes one 9 x 5 loaf.
This spicy, sweet zucchini loaf is like banana bread, meaning it's a dense loaf that needs no icing, is a perfect companion to fresh fruit, or can be toasted and served with a little cream cheese. It also freezes and keeps for months which is a way to keep summer around a little bit longer.
- 1 1/3 cups shredded zucchini (trim off the ends before shredding, which is best done in a food processor or with a box grater)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil (canola is a good choice)
- 2/3 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 5 glass or metal loaf pan.
- Combine all the dry ingredients -- the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices -- in a bowl. Hold aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the sugar and eggs and combine well, mixing for about 10 minutes until the mixture is smooth.
- Gradually add the oil and mix for another two or so minutes.
- Mix in the zucchini and chopped nuts.
- Add the flour mixture and fold to combine. Do not over-mix.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool for 30 minutes before slicing.